Lennox Industries, a leading provider of customized home heating, cooling and indoor air quality products, introduced the patent pending SunSource™ Home Energy System – a new solar-powered central heating and cooling system that reduces overall household electricity consumption without the costs associated with traditional solar installations – at the International Builder’s Show in Las Vegas this week.
The new SunSource Home Energy System not only harnesses solar energy from the sun to reduce the electricity consumed by a residential heat pump or air conditioner, but also is able to use that solar power to operate other devices in the home that consume electricity, such as lighting and appliances, when the heating and cooling system is not running. In addition, if the SunSource system generates more power than is used by the home, that power will be sent back to the utility company, which may entitle the homeowner to a credit on their utility bill.
According to the U.S. Department of Energy, the typical U.S. household pays $2,200 a year on utility bills, and the bulk of those energy costs – between 50 and 60 percent – comes from heating and cooling the home.
The SunSource Home Energy System is composed of:
• A solar-ready, high efficiency Lennox air conditioner or heat pump that has been specially enhanced to serve as the platform for this new home energy system.
• A Lennox solar subpanel that provides the connection between utility- interactive solar power system and the HVAC unit.
• One to 15 roof-mounted solar modules that harness clean, sustainable energy from the sun and use it to run the home’s central heating and cooling system as well as other appliances – the more modules, the more homeowners can reduce their utility costs.
• A communications system that allows homeowners to monitor each solar module’s operation and energy production online, as well as other environmental benefits such as the amount of carbon offset.
As an example, a consumer who lives in a typical 2,000-square-foot home in Corpus Christi, Texas, can reduce the electricity usage associated with heating and cooling his or her home by approximately 12 percent annually by installing a Lennox high-efficiency air conditioner(1) with two solar modules and by 86 percent by installing the air conditioner with 15 modules. In Tulsa, Okla., the homeowner would see around a 25 percent reduction in air conditioner electricity usage with two solar modules, and about a 180 percent reduction (meaning more energy production than air conditioner consumption) with 15 modules. The savings increase even more in sunnier areas of the country.
In addition to the costs savings and incentives offered by many local utility companies for using high-efficiency heating and cooling equipment and/or renewable energy sources, the new SunSource system makes homeowners eligible for federal and some state solar tax credits. In fact, these benefits, when combined, can cover up to 94 percent of the cost of the solar modules, including installation(2).
The new Lennox SunSource Home Energy System will be available with several products from the Dave Lennox Signature® Collection, which is the company’s line of premium heating and cooling products, offering the quietest, most efficient operation and a premier level of performance. The Lennox SunSource Home Energy System may be paired with Dave Lennox Signature Collection air conditioners and heat pumps beginning in May 2010.
About Lennox Industries
Lennox Industries is a leading provider of customized home heating, cooling and indoor air quality products that are designed to deliver customized comfort, efficiency and functionality, with the most innovative and reliable features available. Lennox is also the first heating and air conditioning manufacturer to harness solar energy for central heating and cooling – and beyond. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Energy have selected Lennox as an ENERGY STAR Manufacturer of the Year four out of six years for its outstanding contribution to developing and promoting energy-efficient products. For more information about Lennox home comfort products, visit www.Lennox.com or call 1-800-9-LENNOX.
# # #
(1) Energy savings calculations are based on a Lennox XC21-036 air conditioner, which has a 20 SEER (seasonal energy efficiency rating).
(2) Depends on local and state incentives in homeowner’s area. Typical incentives range between 30 percent and 94 percent of the cost of the solar modules, including installation.